Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Sarah Crosley, Classics Major, Reports on Summer Experience in Romania


Sarah Crosley outside of Alba Iulia, Romania
Sarah Crosley, winner of a 2015 Phi Sigma Iota scholarship for summer study and Classics major, reports on her experiences.

This summer I spent three weeks volunteering with Projects Abroad in Romania on an archeology placement. But before I left for Romania and while I was in Romania, I had the opportunity to study Romanian and practice conversational Romanian. Before this I had never traveled to another country on my own or without someone else who could speak the language fluently. Because of PSI’s scholarship, I was able to attain a level of independence as a solo traveler. While my Romanian may not have been perfect, I do think that learning the language of the country you are going to visit is respectful and considerate. I am very grateful to have been able to learn Romanian.



While abroad, I worked in the cities of Şimleu and Alba Iulia and had the opportunity to travel to Braşov and Sibiu. For the first week, I worked on an excavation dig on the side of a Dacian fortress that was abandoned when the Romans first invaded. For the second two weeks, I worked on a neolithic, systemic dig from which artefacts dated to approximately 5,000BCE. Each site taught me different skills, and I learned why each skill would be appropriate at one site but not another. I also had the opportunity to visit Bran castle (the site of Bram Stoker’s “Dracula”), a Holocaust memorial, and Alba Iulia’s museum in which artefacts from our dig were going to be held. Above is a picture of me at a Romanian barbecue that my group had on a mountain side about 30 minutes outside of Alba Iulia.

No comments:

Post a Comment