Monday, February 8, 2016

Feature: Madyson Smith, International Business and French Major

Our featured senior today is Madyson Smith. Madyson has received approval for a self-designed major in International Business-French. She has succeeded in bringing together her three interests (business, political science, and French) in one major, culminating in a capstone project that addresses economics and business practices, French and American culture, and international relations.

Below Madyson shares with us her reasons for choosing the self-designed International Business and French major and her plans for the future.
Madyson Smith, International Business and French Major

Today’s world is becoming more interconnected than ever before. With changes that are occurring, it is paramount – say even necessary – to have knowledge of other cultures and their languages. The ability to be bilingual can make someone a standout in the workforce. It is for those reasons that I chose to design a major in International Business and French here at William Jewell College.

My study of the French languages and culture began at the age of 14 when I was a freshman at Truman High School. I chose to continue my studies upon entering William Jewell and incorporated it into my major. I now have six and a half years of French studies under my belt that I will be taking with me into the job market.

I gained hands-on experience with French in the workplace after concluding my studies sophomore year at William Jewell. I obtained an internship at Ceva Animal Health in Lenexa, Kansas. Ceva is an animal pharmaceutical company based in Libourne, France, and they have stationed their North American headquarters in Lenexa. I was with Ceva for two summers where I worked as the Product Marketing Intern. I was able to apply my written and speaking French education, and my knowledge of French made me a valuable asset to the team.

Upon graduating this May, I hope to find employment with a French company – such as Ceva or other French pharmaceutical companies – working in their marketing department.

No comments:

Post a Comment